Friday, October 15, 2010

Critique #2

This week we had critique and I think it went really well. There was a lot of cool projects that were displayed including a purse with things like cigarettes and coins made out of wood pencils and wax forms. There was also a pair of shoes made out of tin cans which I thought were really neat. The quality could have been better, I think, but everyone else seemed to really like them since they were so cool! I think that my favorite piece was either the one made out of coffee filters or the one made out of tampons.
The one made out of coffee filters was really cool because they looked so intricate, yet they were very simple in design. The artist took a concept that was very inline with what Tara Donovan does and made it into something elegant and gorgeous! In the end there were three spherical forms that she then suspended from the ceiling. The piece were great because they were so simple, yet they grabbed your attention because of the way that they made you move around them. They were an obstruction in the room, but that was part of the piece. The forms were visually heavy, but when the viewer moved around them they would seem to bounce due to the way that the artist had hung them. I think that this piece was really cool because of the way that the folded coffee filters made interesting lines throughout the spheres. They made sense in the space and you could easily fill a room with them if you wanted to imitate Tara Donovan's truest style.
My other favorite was a pillow, made of tampons. The pillow was very elegant in form, and if you looked at it from far away you couldn't really tell what it was made of. It had a red rose embroidered on it, which I thought was ironic because of what tampons are usually used for. It was an interesting choice of color. However, the way that the pillow was displayed did not help solidify its meaning at all. It was just laid on a table, so it kind of looked like a large tampon, just sitting on the table, instead of an elegant pillow that it could be. However, the piece was very nice and the craftsmanship was extremely well done. All in all it was a really good piece.
As for my project, the hanging cups, the critique went well. It was interesting to hear what everyone had to say about it. Nothing bad, nothing really good either. Some said that it would be nice to have a background to separate the piece from the wall, which I completely forgot. I should probably remember that next time. Another said that it was very crazy, which reminded him of a party. One other student said that there was no place for the eye to rest except in the middle, which I agree with, since that is the way that I intended it.
In the end the final piece did not look anything like what I thought it would, but I think I actually liked it better. It was a very good critique I think and I hope I improved on my artist statement just a tad so I won't do as bad this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment