Tuesday, October 26, 2010

oops!

So, I know I haven"t posted in awhile. Things have been kinda hectic. Between being sick, my boyfriend being sick, and school I've completely forgotten that I need to do this. Well, where to begin. I hung my cup project up and it looked really cool, once I got over my fear of heights. I still haven't gotten the grade back from it yet, hopefully I'll get that today. We then went and saw an artist that was visiting from Colorado, Francois Dugresse. She was really cool I thought. I had a really fun time listening to her and connecting with her because she was half Haitian half Jamaican. Which after going to Jamaica and my boyfriend going to Haiti, I felt very in touch with her artwork. I thought that it was cool that she incorporated her heritage into her artwork and took images that are hurtful to her race and turn them into meaningful pieces that showed that she was proud to be who she was. I really liked that!
After we saw her we got our midterm. We had to choose between SPAM and soap for our materials, I chose SPAM, which I thoroughly despise. We then got to carve anything out of this material. I made a SPAM tv out of mine. I almost threw up like 10 times. But anyways, I carved a whole out of the
middle and made a little man out of the wrapper of the SPAM. I made the container into a TV stand and put it on a tiger print carpet to give it the appearance of being very kitche. I thought it was ok, but after dropping mine off to be judged and seeing some of the other creations I definitely did not think I was going to win. However, turn out that the judges liked mine the best because I used the SPAM and the can. I was pretty surprised, not gonna lie. So yea, I was happy.
Today in class we are getting our fourth project I think. I'm kinda nervous because it has to do with sculpture and the body. I hope that I can figure out what to do for this one so that it will be extra good! I really like this class because its giving me ways to explore art in new and interesting ways. I really enjoy being pushed out of my comfort zone to expand the limits of my artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment