Sunday, September 5, 2010

1st project

This week we were assigned our first project. The requirement/restrictions: we had to make an armature, out or something that was pliable, and cover it with some sort of skin. After drawing, a lot, and thinking, none stop, I came out with that I think I want to make. It is a sort of wave figure made of tie wire that has been bound together to make the central structure. This will symbolize the "time line" of a persons life. Off of it, circles will be attached, all of different sizes, to represent the events that happen in life that you cannot control. On these circles will be paper, with burnt edges, to represent you, trying to hide these events from the public view. It should be an interesting piece, I'm excited to start making it.

This week I also went to the Boise Art Museum and looked at Wanxin Zhang: A Ten Year Survey. It was quite interesting. The artist makes these larger than life figures that represent Chinese history combined with modern day life. He said that he's taken his inspiration from the hundreds of terra cotta solders found in China. As you can see in the picture to the right, the "soldier" of you will, has traditional dress for theses terra cotta soldiers that were found, but he has a modern twist. He is carrying an ensemble with a tie, wire rimmed glasses, and a suit jacket. Wanxin also says he tries to make everyone of his sculptures different. Giving them all facial features unique to the one that he is making, and hair that is also their own accomplishes this. What I thought was interesting was the fact that yes, they do represent human figures, but they have short, stout legs, large hands, and arms. He has truly interpreted the human figure.  I liked how he took artistic liberty, even if sometimes it didn't work as well as others, it made the art very interesting.


I also went to the Twin Falls County Fair. This fair has always been close to my heart for a very specific reason, the photography building. I love the way they have the art displayed, and the level of photographers displayed there are exceptional. It seems as though they seek out the best of that year, and ask them to display in the building. This truly evokes a feeling for the viewer. Truly an experience that I love going to every time I can. I could literally spend hours in there just looking at other photographers work, admiring the good and picking up tips for myself, since I am a photographer first and foremost. I was very blessed to see this year, since I think it was one of the best years they have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment