Thursday, September 16, 2010

John Dillienger

This weekend I saw the movie Public Enemies. It was a very interesting movie that I have been wanting to see for quite a long time. It stars Johnny Depp as the famous bank robber of the 1930s John Dillinger and  Channing Tatum as Pretty Boy Floyd. The movie was based during Dillinger's last few moths of bank robbery and of life. He was wanted by the FBI, which had only been around a few short months, for robbing multiple banks in the Chicago area and murdering one of the police men. It is alleged that he stole over $300,000 from multiple banks around the Midwest.
The movie, although wrong on many of the historical dates and events, depicts Dillinger as an open character, not living afraid of police, but rather living in a way that suggests that he was better than the police force. He fell in love with Evelyn "Billie" Frechette in the early 30s.
This would lead to her imprisonment later for harboring criminals because she lent her house to John and his "posse" of bank robbers.
I think that this movie is extremely artistic in the way director, Michael Mann, shot it. It has a lot of interesting shots that draw the viewer in, and also he does a great job of capturing the mood of the 1930s. It is amazing how he captures the depression and the sadness that was the moral of the American people at this time. I like the fact that he takes time to unveil the story of who John Dillinger was. The movie was long, but it kept you involved. The cinematography was amazing in the way some of the scenes were shot. I think that currently it is hard to find a good movie that has a good story line and is still interesting. I think that with America's lowering standards of what a "good" movie consists of, this one rises above the usual standards and is truly a good movie.
This week in my Hum 150 class we also made journals from scratch. It was a really fun experience. We learned to how to bind our own pages just like old book companies and publishers would have and make a spine and hard covers to protect the book. I chose a gray fabric that has little swirls all over it and some sparkles. I really liked the idea of making my own journal because it reminded me of The Boy that Harnessed the Wind because we were building something functional out of thinks that could have just been thrown out. It made me feel like an engineer! it was really fun! I think that my journal looks really good, I made a book mark for it and decorated it with some blue ribbon. It looks really pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment