Friday, September 24, 2010

Project number 2 #2


Well... this is frustrating. I x-nayed the leaf idea because after talking with some classmates and our teacher I came to the conclusion that making the paper out of the leaves isn't really transforming anything I guess, who knew?
So, onto another idea. I don't really like the idea of the paper DNA strand anymore, however, I did come up with a project to do with glue sticks. I think it would be cool if I took a regular Avery or Elmers school glue stick and cut it into about 1/8 inch pieces so they are just about as thick as two pennies put together. I would then lay them out to dry into the little funky forms they would become once they are solid. I then have one of two choices that could happen I think; I could spray paint the glue sticks to give them color and then adhere them to a Styrofoam ball, since making an entire sphere made our of little slices of glue would be really expensive and my test run didn't go so hot. Another idea would be just glue the slices of glue onto the Styrofoam as is, with no color at all. I think that I may do a combination on the two, alternating a layer of colored glue pieces with white, or non color glue pieces. I think I'll use 3M Super 77 glue to adhere the glue to the Styrofoam and then possible hot glue to adhere the glue pieces to each other. If it melts the glue pieces then I will continue to use Super 77. I still have a few experiments before I make the actual things, but hopefully it'll work out.
My other idea is achieved by cutting plastic cups into spirals and suspending them from the ceiling. I think that this would be really cool because then the viewer could walk through the piece and experience it as a full. I think I would make maybe a hundred or two of these little spirals and then hang them with fishing line from the ceiling, at different heights, of our art classroom. I think that this would be really really cool, and a good alternative to the glue if that does not work. I have made a few of the forms already and have hung them in my dorm room. They are cool, and a lot of fun to play with. I think that it would be cool if there were hundreds of them because then it would be an experience rather than just an art piece. I would also hang a sign in the middle that would invite the viewer in to have fun with the piece.

1 comment:

  1. hey savannah! this is really great, keep it up! I like reading about other things that are outside of "just art" that could come to play in your work. Like Dillenger and Oedipus. Cool. Well just rememeber that you are responsible for artists entries that are counted separately from the other biweekly entries.
    okay
    erin

    ReplyDelete