Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Critique

This week in art we were critiqued on out previous work. I think it went well for our first time. There were a lot of interesting pieces there made by some of the other students in the class. There was one that was almost as tall as a person and it had bamboo for the armature and wire mesh for the skin and was held together with hemp string. It was really cool the way the lines moved in the piece. The hemp pulled the bamboo back so the piece stood with only its own tension. It had a lot of asymmetrical values that made the piece flow really well. Another piece had human hair and pie tins. It was interesting how the pie tins and hair acted around each other and how they complimented each other, strangely. My favorite piece was one that resembled and old camera lens of a bellow folding camera. It had the armature made of wood and the skin was on slides sitting
inside the armature. It was very interesting to look inside the form because of the way the skin was layered on the sides it made the hole look curvy even though it was straight. As the piece moved around it changed form and in the end was very interesting to watch. It was very unique in the way that the light reflected off of it and the shapes changed as it moved when it was suspended.
My critique went well also I think. A lot of people liked the story behind the piece once I explained it. There was a lot of good feedback on the piece about how I could make it better and how I could present it differently. They liked the different skins of newspaper and gold foil and how they were in stark contrast to each other. I think that, even though it was a  suspenseful experience standing up there waiting for people to say something about my piece and not quite knowing whether or not it would be good or bad, it was good for me as an artist because it helped me to know what critiques are like and what they maybe like in the future. It also helped when I reminded myself that everyone is a critique, no matter who you meet; and as long as you as the artist and creator like your piece then it really doesn't matter who else agrees with you, because your art will affect someone, sometime.
This week I also learned about some really cool figures in my art history class that I really liked. We are beginning to study Greece and Crete.
There was this one, which is named Winged Victory. I have actually seen this sculpture in the Louvre, which is maybe why it stuck out in my memory to much. I think that this is one of my favorite sculptures because it leads to mystery because  the viewer wonders where the head went, if it was carved without a head, or if something tragic happened to it when it lost its head. The viewer wonders about the story behind this sculpture, which is why I find it so intriguing.  I also think that this is one of the most beautiful and elegant sculptures ever crated. It just has this quality of fluid movement that is very aesthetically pleasing to my eyes. I really like this sculpture because it also carries the qualities of a Greek goddess in which the Greek were so obsessed with. I think that it could be a god that is depicted in human form and figure. I really just fell in love with this larger than life figure. Its was just so very beautiful that every time I saw it that day I could not help myself but to stop and stare at its beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment