Tuesday, September 28, 2010

project number 2 #3

So, after working all weekend on pricing different materials to make my large spheres out of purely glue, I decided that it would be a bit to much money for a poor college student such as myself. So then I came up with the idea of getting those Styrofoam balls that florists use for fake flowers and covering them with the glue chips. I thought that this was a good idea because, I could then suspend the spheres from the ceiling, since the Styrofoam would alleviate a lot of the weight. I thought that this would be a great avenue to take this project down! However, those feelings came to a quick realization when I found out how much Styrofoam balls cost! After figuring out that I would be spending around $80 in Styrofoam, not even counting the glue I would need to cover them, I decided I better come up with a different idea. Luckily, I did have a backup plan.
My plan now is to buy a bunch of plastic cups, and cut them. I have bought around 130 plastic cups, a can of spray paint, and fishing wire. My idea is to cut them in such a way that they will form a spiral and then I could hang these spirals from the ceiling of our art classroom. I think that it would be really cool because then the viewer can interact with the artwork, creating a relationship with the viewer and the piece. I also think that this is a cool project because in the end, the cups do not look like cups. You can not use them as such and you can hardly recognize them as such.
I think that the spray paint also adds dimension to the piece by adding interest for the eye. I think what I am going to do is hang the cups in a series of four. Among the four cups there will be one cup that is painted purple. I think that this will help lead the viewer about the piece, instead of leaving them to figure it out for themselves.
I have yet to draw this out, but I do have a few prototypes in my room that I think look really awesome! I think the fat that there will be so many of them, and that it will command your attention will be really cool.
Also, due to the fact that each of the cups will not be cut in the exact same way I think that it kind of reflects society in itself. Each of the cups will have its own personal identity due to the way they are cut, along with the ones that are painted purple will stand out from the others. I think that this is kind of like people. We each have our own identity, however, some stand out more than others, and when we come all together, we make a large, unique group of people. As the cups make a large "school" if you will.
This project has been kinda hard for me to do because it is kinda of frustrating for me to step out of what I'm so used to doing, which is working with photography. This is so different and hard for me to get used to, so I'm a bit hesitant at first. I think that as the semester goes on it will get easier for me to come up with ideas for projects and become better at developing my voice as an artist. However, right now I am having a little difficulty. It will all work out in the end. I know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment