Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Museum resaerch project

So for my display/exhibit, I decided to go to Macy's and draw that huge dress made of bags on the manikin. The display was over 9 feet tall and was made of 200+ Macy's paper bags.
This is an actual photo of the display and it definitely commands your attention as soon as you walk in the door. She is HUGE! The display was about the gift of giving and how every purchase made from Macy's they would give money to some sort of charity, so all of the bags are gift bags.
I think that the information being portrayed in this display is extremely clear and that it is arranged well. You are captivated by how large and beautiful the dress is, and the plaque that accompanies it is small enough to read at a short glance, yet it conveys the message that the company wants to portray the the public.
My rendition of the  dress.
I think it is nice that the exhibit can be looked at up close and you can even touch it if you dare. I think that this was not something that was meant to just be looked at, but experienced as well. There were even some store representatives there to help the customers that had questions about the exhibit. I think that Macy's does one of the best jobs of making displays that are beautiful and high fashion, such as this dress, however they relate to the people who shop there quite well.
I also thought that the grouping made a lot of sense as it was arrange, in fact, it was one of the better displays that I have seen this holiday season. There was a definite flow around the enormous figure, and no one stopped to question what was going on. There was a sense of importance that the figure conveyed, which I thought was one of the best parts of the display.
The beneficiary was the Make A Wish foundation that Macy's works so closely with. We were privileged to know this information, as I don't think that the installation would have made as much as an impact on the viewer if that information was not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment