Monday, November 22, 2010

Project 3 Critique

So we had critique on our hair lips on Tuesday of last week, and I think it went really well. I had one of our classmates help me display them while we walked around the room looking at others projects. I wanted them to be displayed on a person, so this was perfect. They were super gross to wear, and very uncomfortable, but I think that they implied a great message! My favorite part of the whole experience was when I was in fact being critiqued. Everyone thought that they were really gross, and some even became squeamish just by looking at me wearing them. I really liked all of the comments I got about them, that they were gross, and how they looked uncomfortable, and how no one would ever want to even think about kissing anyone with hairy lips. So I thought the outcome was really good.
My favorite project was the one that my friend, Cara did. She covered an entire dress with nutrition labels that were cut into little shell like shapes and then made a modern flapper dress patter on the material. I Really liked how the form looked on the manican that she displayed it on because the way that she had altered the dress, by making it have a low cut neckline, really emphasized that it was meant to be worn by someone who wanted to look good, but had problems with self esteem. This really spoke to me on a personal level as well seeing as how I am dealt with self esteem levels since childhood. I really thougtht that this captured everything that people who count calories, watch what they eat very meticulously, and stress over their body size. I think that the message was very clear and relevant to many of the girls and boys of out generation. The need to be thin is almost so prevalent in our society that people will do anything to look like the people in the magazines, even though those photos have been air brushed and touched up millions of times before they are released to the general public.
I think that the only thing that could have made this piece better is the fact that the whole dress was not finished. I think that because this project was so time consuming that she mearly forgot that the back needed some sort of decoration on the back or some sort of pattern, not necessarily done exactly like the front. Also, I think that the dress should have been tighter on the manican, to emphasize the real way a person might wear a dress like this, especially if they are watching their weight. People would want to show off every little curve if they are proud of what they have accomplished or how they look, and this dress did not do that.
My least favorite project was one that hung on the wall and showed the ideal human species. I think that this project would have been much better if it was worn in the class because the picture didn't really do the outfit justice. The pictures looked extremely romantic, which is great and all, but it wasn't right for this project. I think that if she really wanted to take pictures of this outfit, that would have been fine if the pictures came from a more questioning and lab like quality. It would have been neat to see the pictures in a way that examined every inch of this new "specimen" and cataloged everything that was different from us as the "supreme species". I think that it also would have been nice if she would have worn the project into class and then had us even take pictures of it, like it was a rarity, and we all wanted our own souvenirs. All in all the class did a really good job with this project I think. It was really har d coming up with an idea, but after I got rolling with one, it was fairly easy, and I was suprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment