Monday, November 15, 2010

Project #3 #2

So I finally figured out what I was going to do for my project. While talking to Erin, I mentioned my photography and how I like to bring textures that we use everyday to life. She thought that maybe I could use this as inspiration for my work. After thinking about it for awhile I came to the conclusion that I really had no idea how to do that. So after continuing to think, and draw, and research, I still had nothing. I thought about possibly putting textures that are one place on the body on a place that they shouldn't be, but I didn't know if that would work, or meet the requirements well enough.
So I went back to class, again with no idea. When talking with Erin for what seemed like the 5 billionth time, I mention making something like hairy lips, but not knowing if that would be suffice to meet the requirements. She said it would, and actually was really excited by it. Then I was faced with another problem, why in the world was I going to make this? What did it mean to me? I talked to Erin some more about this problem and she said something that really got me. Why cant this piece just be made because it is disgusting?
I thought about that some more while I tried to gather my supplies in a hurriedly fashion. I got the basics that I was going to use for the main structure of the lips/mustaches, but was having problems coming up with hair. I went to a few parlors and they told me that it was out of their policies to give people customers hair, even if they are an art major. Who knew? So I tried to looking into using hair extensions, but those are hella expensive! So I kinda gave up on myself for a bit. However, the next day I decided to call around to a few more places to get some hair. I finally found one! So I got my hair.
The overall project did not take me but a few hours to make, once I got past the grossness of using some complete strangers hair. In the end I think that they looks really good, and they are completely disguising! I am going to attach them to beads to be worn as an adornment. As a sort of jewelery. I hope that this project will be more successful than my last ones, I really want to do well.
We have critique tomorrow, so I guess we'll see how it goes. Hopefully well! I'm always excited for critique before it happens, just not so much during it.

No comments:

Post a Comment