Monday, November 22, 2010

Project 4-Like a museum

So, first off, let me say that when I first heard the name of this assignment I thought of that song on the commercial for State Farm Insurance, "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there." So yea, just had to point that out. Onto the assignment. We watched a video in class about the Museum of Jurassic Technology, which I thought was really interesting, and may eve go there during Christmas Break while I'm home in California. I thought that this place was super cool because of the fact that they aren't like normal museums. They don't collect just things from one era, or one artist, or one culture. They just collect things that they think are cool, unusual, or strange. this also includes them making their own items such as a world that  has been cut in half to and looks like a brain has been put inside, to comment on how the world is its own sort of brain. Also, on of their most famous things is a pit of some sort of fruit that has been caved to have a Flemish landscape in which is seated a bearded man wearing a biretta, a long tunic of classical character, and thick-soled shoes; he is seated with a viol held between his knees while he tunes one of the strings. In the distance are representations of animals, including a lion, a bear, an elephant ridden by a monkey, a boar, a dog, a donkey, a stag, a camel, a horse, a bull, a bird, a goat a lynx, and a group of rabbits: the latter under a branch on which sit an owl, another bird and a squirrel; and on the back is the Crucifixion of Christ. It is only 13mm x 11mm big, and is displayed in a large glass vitrine.
I think that this piece is simply exquisite and it has really a lovely story on it, and it quite amazing to look at!
Anyways, this has to do with our upcoming project because the assignment is to create something that deals with the aspects of collecting or museum practices. We can make up a completely fictional story that would go with our piece, to say that they are relics of some sort or left overs of a great catastrophe. I think that this project is going to be really cool because of the fact that we get to work in groups to create the piece, however, each of us has to come up with an idea. Then the class will vote on which ones they think would be the most interesting or the best to create. Then we will be assigned groups and create the installation. They will be displayed in the vitrines in our building, but could be places somewhere else.
I need an idea, however. I collect lots of things, however they are very important to me, so I don't want to necessarily use them for this project. I was going to collect fruit pits, because I think that they are really interesting. But right now I just need an idea, and hopefully it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment